CALORIES IN BEEF BROTH. HOW MANY CALORIES IS IN A BAKED POTATO
Calories In Beef Broth
- Broth is a liquid food preparation, typically consisting of either water or an already flavored stock, in which bones, meat, fish, cereal grains, or vegetables have been simmered. Broth is used as a basis for other edible liquids such as soup, gravy, or sauce.
- The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C (now usually defined as 4.1868 joules)
- (caloric) of or relating to calories in food; "comparison of foods on a caloric basis"; "the caloric content of foods"
- Either of two units of heat energy
- (caloric) thermal: relating to or associated with heat; "thermal movements of molecules"; "thermal capacity"; "thermic energy"; "the caloric effect of sunlight"
- The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water through 1 °C, equal to one thousand small calories and often used to measure the energy value of foods
- (calorie) a unit of heat equal to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree at one atmosphere pressure; used by nutritionists to characterize the energy-producing potential in food
Autumn In a Pot
Pot roast. Carrots and potatoes added, one more hour to cook.
Classic Beef Pot Roast
from Cooking Light, October 2006
Cuts of beef
that perform well for pot roasting go by many different names: Blade roast, cross-rib roast (or shoulder clod), seven-bone pot roast, arm pot roast, and boneless chuck roast are all acceptable cuts for this traditional recipe.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 cup dry red wine
4 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
Fresh thyme leaves (optional)
Preheat oven to 350?.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; saute 8 minutes or until tender.
Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth
, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.
Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 3 ounces roast, about 3/4 cup vegetables, and about 3 tablespoons cooking liquid)
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 307(31% from fat); FAT 10.4g (sat 3.5g,mono 4.8g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 28.6g; CHOLESTEROL 85mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 340mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 23.7g
Spicy Beef and Barley Soup
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 (1 1/2-pound) eye-of-round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sliced onion
2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot
2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 thyme sprig
Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef evenly on all sides with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Add beef and onion to pan; saute 5 minutes, turning to brown beef on all sides. Remove beef mixture from pan; place in an electric slow
Add carrot and mushrooms to pan; saute 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add carrot mixture, broth
, barley, basil, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, and thyme sprig to slow
cooker; stir well to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW; cook 6 hours. Discard thyme.
6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
1 serving = 7 points
Nutritional Information: CALORIES 319(32% from fat); FAT 11.5g (sat 3.9g,mono 5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 30.4g; CHOLESTEROL 46mg; CALCIUM 63mg; SODIUM 725mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 3.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 23.3g
Related topics: low carb snack bars weight loss equipment how many calories in a corn muffin how many calories should be eaten a day low carb dinner meals healthy eating for young people calories in humus asian chicken salad calories my daily calorie intake vegan diet for weight loss